This single-use well-test-kit will check for bacterial well contaminants, plus lead, pesticides, nitrates, chlorine, copper and iron concentrations. It is the most sophisticated home-test system available and is much lower cost that the "mail-in" services available.
Water is by far the most ingested substance on the planet. Even with modern water-treatment facilities, water can be a significant source of dangerous contaminants, spreading acute and chronic diseases. Continual exposure to certain man-made chemicals can be highly insidious, causing damage over months or years with often serious and sometimes deadly effects. Chlorine, used for disinfection can react with organic matter to form cancer-causing trihalomethanes.
Even naturally occurring contaminants can show up in well water with dangerous consequences. According the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, E. coli bacteria is responsible for an estimated 73,000 cases of infection and 61 deaths per year in the United States. Lead is toxic when ingested and causes a wide variety of systemic and developmental problems in adults and children yet this metal can leach from old pipes and fixtures, making its way into drinking water. In the US, about 1,000,000 children under the age of six have an amount of lead in their blood that exceeds the level of concern.
Pesticides have been discovered in every large watershed in the US. The dangerous synthetic chemicals used in pesticides have also been detected in an alarmingly high percentage of groundwater wells in the US.